QRG Welcome to HSPnet
1. Welcome to HSPnet
1.1. Welcome To HSPnet
Welcome to HSPnet
We are pleased to welcome you as a new user of the Health Sciences Placement Network, or HSPnet.
This Quick Reference Guide provides essential information to get you started, and includes helpful reminders to support the occasional user.
User ID, Password, and Reminder Question
Your user ID and temporary password have been sent to your current email account. Your user ID is typically your first initial and last name (e.g. the user ID for Sally Brown = sbrown) or email address. For students it is typically your student id. Don't worry about capital or small letters either case works fine.
If you forget your password, click Help with forgotten password on your provincial login screen. You will be prompted to answer the reminder question you selected during your first login, and a new temporary password will be sent to you immediately via email.
If you can't remember the answer to your reminder question or you experience other login problems:
HSPnet user ids and passwords are the responsibility of your school or Agency.
Students Please contact your practicum coordinator at your school who can help with your login issues.
Other Users Please contact HSPnet administrator (Placing Coordinator or Receiving Coordinator) at your Agency who can help with your login.
Your password expires every 90 days, and on the login following this expiry date you will be required to enter a new password before proceeding. You will also be asked to agree to a set of User Responsibilities in HSPnet, excerpted from HSPnet Policies on Privacy, Security and Data Access. The comprehensive Policies are available on the website at www.hspcanada.net.
Getting Help & Support
HSPnet is a powerful application. However, new users experience a learning curve and are encouraged to seek help from one of many sources:
Most screens provide context-sensitive popup screens to provide Online Help -- simply click the Help link in
Tips & Reminders
- You can't "break" HSPnet! The system is very sturdy and forgiving
- You can determine the function of any icon in HSPnet by hovering your mouse cursor over it. A yellow hover text box will appear, providing the icon name and/or its function. Sometimes the hover text includes other helpful information:
- The Supervisor/Preceptor icon displays the supervisor's name (if status is Accepted or Confirmed)
- The Clock icons display information about shift (days/eves) and start/end times
- The Details icon opens the Placement Request Details window on click, but also displays hover text with placement duration in hour and Reference # of the request.
- As a web-enabled application, HSPnet requires regular screen refreshes to ensure you are viewing up-to-date information. Remember to use the REFRESH VIEW button after periods of screen inactivity, and always logout when leaving your desk for an extended period.
- Use HSPnet buttons and links instead of your browser buttons when printing, refreshing screens, or moving between screens. For example:
- Always use the left navigation links to move between screens, rather than your browser's Back or Forward buttons, to ensure you are viewing current data.
- When closing a popup window, use the CLOSE WINDOW button instead of the Windows X when closing popup windows the HSPnet button works better and causes an automatic screen refresh so you can see your changes.
- Use the coloured GoTo buttons such as to navigate efficiently between screens. The GoTo buttons advance you to the desired screen already filtered to the selected course or destination.
- The Find Destination icon, located at the bottom of the left navigation, opens a search window for available placement locations, plus an online form to request addition of a new destination. When searching for a destination:
- Enter only a few letters or one word of the destination you are seeking (such as "maple" to find "The Maples" or "Maple Ridge Health Unit").
- If you are unsure about how the destination name is spelled, enter only 3-4 letters of the destination name (such as "Bri" to find "Briar" or "Brier").
- If your search does not produce the right site or unit, you can request a new Destination by completing the online form.